In my humble opinion, asparagus is the unsung hero in the vegetable community. When it comes to side dish recipes, I always reach for asparagus recipes. Asparagus is just so easy to make and you can pair it with so many different flavors and spices without really losing its unique texture and taste.
Quick Lemon Asparagus is probably one of my favorite side dish recipes with asparagus. It has such a refreshing flavor, thanks to a bit of lemon zest and juice. Plus, unlike other cooked vegetables, it’s tender without being too mushy, which I really like. Honestly, you could never go wrong with this easy side dish recipe.
I use this recipe as my go-to any time I’m having company. I have it pre-prepared and ready for the oven and, when everything else is finished and the oven is empty, I slide the pan into the oven for a few minutes. It is easy to multiply this recipe for any number of guests; two pounds of asparagus will usually fit on one pan. It is perfect for spring holiday dinners, like Easter Sunday.
Quick Lemon Asparagus
Judith Hines for Cheap Eats and Thrifty Crafts
1 pound asparagus spears
2 Tablespoons olive oil
zest of ½ lemon
salt and fresh ground pepper
juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a bake sheet with foil.
- Trim cut ends of the asparagus but leave the stalks whole. Lay in a single layer into the bake pan and drizzle with the oil, shaking the pan to distribute the oil evenly. Sprinkle with the lemon zest and salt and pepper.
- Bake for 7 – 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the asparagus. The stalks should be bright green and maybe starting to char just a bit, and “al dente” tender.
- Remove from the bake pan to a serving dish and squeeze lemon juice over just before serving.
Looking for more delicious spring eats? Check out this collection of 7 Easy Spring Recipes and these Side Dish Dinner Solutions on a Budget!
What is your favorite way to cook and eat asparagus?
- 16 Healthy Dessert Recipes to Keep You On Track - January 11, 2016
- Link Love: Cute Budget-Friendly Ways to Pack School Lunches - September 10, 2015
- Garden Vegetable Recipes: Zucchini Recipes and More - July 24, 2015