One thing that is inevitable when the weather starts getting warm is that bugs start to show up. Using an egg carton and a few supplies you probably have on hand, make some bugs you’ll actually want to have around! With one egg carton you can make two sets of ants, caterpillars, and ladybugs! Egg carton crafts are cheap and easy, the way we like them.
- Cardboard egg carton
- Paint – green, red, black, and white
- Cotton swabs
- Pipe cleaners
1. Cut the egg carton into sections. The ladybug will have one section, the ant has two, and the caterpillar has three.
2. Paint the one ladybug section red, the two ant sections black, and the three caterpillar sections green. Allow the paint to dry completely before you move onto the next step.
3. Once the paint is completely dry, paint a black section onto the ladybug for the face. Allow this to dry while you paint the other bugs.
Dip the cotton swab in white paint and dab little circles for eyes onto the caterpillar and ant. Once the ladybug’s face is dry, dab eyes on there too. Allow to dry. Do the same with the cotton swab and tiny black spots for the pupils of the eyes. Use the cotton swab to paint a black line along the body of the ladybug and then add black spots along the back. Allow to dry.
4. Make sure this step is done by an adult! Using the sharp point of scissors, (or another sharp tool) poke holes for the ant’s legs and holes for the caterpillar and ladybug’s antenna.
String the pipe cleaners through the holes and cut down. Bend the ant’s legs to make him stand.
5. You’re done! Now you have an adorable set of bug toys!