Some people will say camping is the cheaper summer vacation compared to staying at resorts. Sure, you save on travel and lodging, but there’s one thing these people will not tell you. Camping gets expensive because you have to bring EVERYTHING you need with you! By the time you’ve bought a tent and all the camping supplies, it’s really not much cheaper. (Granted, you usually only have to buy it once.)
Zara the dog saved $400 sewing her own camping gear! True story.
Fear not, thrifty friends, because there are ways to save on all that camping gear – namely, making some of it yourself! Thrifty sewists know that they can save lots of money with easy sewing projects like a Super Simple DIY Sleeping Bag or water bottle holders. In my experience, this kind of camping gear is usually overpriced because it’s a niche area. But if you actually consider the materials and pattern of most sleeping bags, you start to think, “Hey, I can make this myself and save a fortune!”
The other thing about camping stuff is that even all-weather material tends to fall apart after a few years. Why invest your hard-earned money in expensive camping equipment that you’ll just have to replace? It’s much easier to re-use or patch items that you made yourself.
Check out our easy sewing patterns on AllFreeSewing.com for this summer’s camping trips. You can save bucks on the gear, and spend more on an exciting destination!
Camping Hacks: 8 Easy Sewing Projects
- Super Simple DIY Sleeping Bag
- Child’s Outdoor Tent
- Fox Teepee Baby Quilt with Pom Pom Pillows
- Slide-On Dog Bandana – Make colorful ones for your dog so they’re visible in hunting areas.
Bonus camping projects:
- Hearty, Healthy Camping Oatmeal
- Summer Hike Water Bottle Strap
- Good Things to Bring Camping
- DIY Folding Camp Chair
Where are you camping this summer?
- Blast from the Past: Budget-Friendly Retro Vintage Sewing Patterns & Jewelry Patterns - July 30, 2021
- 12 Easy Crescent Roll Casserole Recipes - November 14, 2020
- Blast from the Past: Budget-Friendly Retro Vintage Sewing Patterns & Jewelry Patterns - July 31, 2020