Sometimes, we like to get crazy in the kitchen. And when we say crazy, we don’t mean adding an extra scoop of ice cream to our dessert after dinner. Crazy means completely throwing out the recipe book and starting from scratch. We’re talking cakes made from scratch without eggs, milk, or butter! Eggs, for crying out loud!
Now, we can’t take credit for all of this crazy talk. During the Great Depression, basic ingredients such as eggs, milk, and and butter were scarce and very hard to come by. So, the homemakers and bakers of the 1930s had to improvise. This is when Crazy Wacky Cakes first came on the scene. These ingenious desserts pulled together the bare ingredients of an already slim pantry and turned them into something wonderful.
These cakes were so delicious, people are still making them today! So many people have a crazy cake recipe that has been passed down to them from a grandmother or another relative who lived during the Great Depression. At the time, these cakes were a luxury that many people could barely afford. Now, we can look back and be grateful that we have come so far since that time in our history. We can look back and be grateful for the ingenuity of our family members during a difficult time.
But let’s focus on the issue at hand here – cake! Crazy cakes can be made in practically any flavor you want. And since they don’t require eggs, milk, or butter, we bet you have all the necessary ingredients already sitting in your pantry. So throw on an apron – it’s time to get crazy! Crazy for crazy cakes that is!
Crazy for Crazy Cakes:
13 Easy Desserts from the Great Depression
- Crazy Wacky Cake
- Grandma’s Prized Lemon Crazy Cake
- Vintage Chocolate Crazy Cake
- Crazy Carrot Cake
- Old-Fashioned Crazy Cake
- Grandma’s Great Depression Cake
- Chocolate Mint Crazy Cake
- Mom’s Specialty Crazy Cake
And don’t miss some crazy cakes from our favorite bloggers!
- Coffee and Kahlua Crazy Cake by Mary from Sweet Little Bluebird
- Chocolate Depression Cake by Joan from Chocolate, Chocolate and More
- Vanilla Crazy Wacky Cake by Mary from Sweet Little Bluebird
- Spiced Crazy Wacky Cake by Mary from Sweet Little Bluebird
- S’mores Crazy Cake by Mary from Sweet Little Bluebird
What’s your favorite Old-Fashioned Dessert Recipe?
- Microwave Dessert Recipes for Fall - September 25, 2020
- Last Minute Dessert Recipes for Weeknight Cravings - February 27, 2020
- 16 Breakfast Dessert Recipes Because You’re A Princess - February 20, 2020