I’m Marie Segares from Underground Crafter, and I love to experiment with crochet. If you haven’t yet tried double-ended crochet (sometimes called double-ended Tunisian crochet, crochet on the double, or crochenit), you will be surprised to see how easy it is.
With double-ended crochet, you use a double-ended crochet hook and two yarns to create reversible projects that highlight a different yarn on each side.
While you can make these projects using two yarns in the same weight, it’s much more fun to experiment with different yarn weights.
This pattern uses a super bulky weight yarn and a medium weight yarn, but try your own combinations! If you change the yarn weights, be sure to pick a double-ended crochet hook that is sized appropriately for the thickest yarn.
Skinny Minny Scarf
Double-Ended Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- Adult. 3.5” (9 cm) wide x 59.5” (151 cm) long.
- Red Heart Grande (76% acrylic/22% wool, 5.29 oz/150 g/46 yd/42 m) – 1 skein in Nectar (CA), or approximately 46 yd (42 m) in any super bulky weight yarn.
- Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g/280 yd/256 m) – 1 skein in Springtime (CB), or approximately 56 yd (51 m) in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size Q/16 mm double-ended crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 8 sts in pattern = 3.5” (9 cm) wide. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- ch – chain
- ea – each
- rep – repeat
- sk – skip
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- Tss – Tunisian simple st – Insert hook under next vertical bar, yo and draw up loop onto hook.
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- Always sk first vertical bar (below first loop on hook) at beginning of row.
- With CA, ch 8.
- Row 1: Turn, sk 1 ch, *insert hook in next ch, yo and pull up a loop; rep from * across. (8 sts)
- Row 2: Slide loops to other hook, turn. With CB, ch 1, *yo and draw through 2 loops; rep from * across.
- Row 3: Tss in ea vertical bar across.
- Row 4: Slide loops to other hook, turn. With CA, ch 1, *yo and draw through 2 loops; rep from * across.
- Row 5: Rep Row 3.
- Rep Rows 2-5 until scarf measures approximately 58” (147 cm) long, or until 45” (114 cm) of CA remain, or until desired length is reached, ending after Row 4.
- Final Row: With CA, *insert hook under next vertical bar as for Tss, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through both loops on hook; rep from * across. Fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends.
If you’re a double-ended or Tunisian crochet newbie, you may find this video tutorial helpful.
Have you tried double-ended crochet before?