Ice cream, for me, isn’t just a dessert or treat when I’ve been good or when I have a really hard workout. It’s an everyday thing. I know, it’s sad.
Ice cream is the reason I do butt clenches at my desk.
So let’s discuss. Personally, I’ve never tried to make ice cream at home. I’ve become accustomed to slow-churned and low-fat Edy’s, Breyer’s and the occasional Ben & Jerry’s indulgence.
And forever, that always did the trick. But, this year I’ve come across a swarm of homemade ice cream recipes that have been severely tempting for two reasons.
1) I’ve found that making ice cream can be cheaper than buying a gallon every week. With gallons of name brand ice cream costing upwards of $5/gallon, people like me spend about $260 every year on this magical treat. And that’s not including the occasional box of popsicles I buy in addition to the ice cream. After you get yourself an ice cream maker (which can be as cheap as $24.99 thanks to Walmart), you have the ability to make a gallon of basic vanilla ice cream for roughly $3.90.
2) There is nothing more exciting to an ice cream lover than the ability to make and consume any flavor he or she desires without leaving the house.
The perks go on an on.
Making ice cream at allows you to make as much as you want, for as many people you want, with as much or as little fat as you want. That kind of freedom almost seems unfair. I almost don’t want that freedom lest I succumb to the temptation of having a serving more than once a day.
But we all know there’s a downside. For something this good, there’s got to be. And there is. It’s time. Making ice cream at home takes not just a couple of hours. From start to stomach it takes a couple of days. And it’s a pretty delicate process that requires specific equipment.
But for you serious frozen dessert lovers who also want to save a buck, this might be the way to keep your treat and slash your grocery bill.
- Easy Side Dish: Quick Lemon Asparagus Recipe - December 28, 2018
- 16 Healthy Dessert Recipes to Keep You On Track - January 11, 2016
- Link Love: Cute Budget-Friendly Ways to Pack School Lunches - September 10, 2015