I’m Marie Segares from Underground Crafter. One of my favorite crochet tricks is to work into the back loop of the half double crochet stitch. It creates a classic look very similar to the stockinette stitch in knitting. The bulk of this easy one skein crochet pattern is crocheted with the half double crochet in the back loop, and then the stitches get more decorative at the forehead. After all, that’s the most visible part of your crochet hat, so why not showcase your stitches there?
This crochet hat pattern is a hybrid – looser than a beanie and snugger than a slouchy – so I call it the Halfway Harvest Hat. It’s very stretchy so it will fit teens up through adults. Enjoy!
Halfway Harvest Hat
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- Teen/Adult Small: 20.5” (52 cm) circumference x 8” (20 cm) height.
- Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 170 yd/156 m) in 134 Terracotta, or approximately 170 yds (29 m) in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size I-9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Locking stitch marker or scrap yarn.
- Through Rnd 5 in pattern = 4” (10 cm) diameter. For best fit, always check your gauge.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only
- cdc – crossed double crochet – Sk st, dc in next st, dc in skipped st.
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- ea – each
- FPsc – front post single crochet – Insert hook from front around back to front of cl in previous round, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops, sk st behind FPsc.
- hdc – half double crochet
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- Hat is worked in the round in spirals without joining.
- Place locking stitch marker or scrap yarn in last stitch of round and move up each round.
- Starting at crown, ch 4, skip 3 ch, join with sl st to first ch to form ring.
- Rnd 1: Ch 2 (does not count as hdc), 8 hdc in ring, place stitch marker in last st, join with sl st to first hdc. (8 sts)
- Rnd 2: 2 hdcBL in ea st around. (16 sts)
- Rnd 3: *2 hdcBL in next st, hdcBL in next st; rep from * around. (24 sts)
- Rnd 4: *2 hdcBL in next st, hdcBL in next 2 sts; rep from * around. (32 sts)
- Rnd 5: *2 hdcBL in next st, hdcBL in next 3 sts; rep from * around (40 sts)
- Rnd 6: *2 hdcBL in next st, hdcBL in next 4 sts; rep from * around. (48 sts)
- Rnd 7: *2 hdcBL in next st, hdcBL in next 5 sts; rep from * around (56 sts)
- Rnd 8: *2 hdcBL in next st, hdcBL in next 6 sts; rep from * around (64 sts)
- Rnd 9: *2 hdcBL in next st, hdcBL in next 7 sts; rep from * around (72 sts)
- Rnd 10: *2 hdcBL in next st, hdcBL in next 8 sts; rep from * around (80 sts)
- Rnd 11: HdcBL in ea st around.
- Rep Rnd 11 until hat measures approximately 6.5” (16.5 cm) from crown.
- Rnd 12: Sc in ea st around.
- Rnd 13: Cdc around.
- Rnd 14: Rep Rnd 12 once. Remove stitch marker.
- Rnd 15: Turn, *sc in next st, dc in next st; rep from * around, join with sl st to first sc.
- Rnd 16: Turn, FPsc in ea st around, join with sl st to first FPsc.
- Rnd 17: Sc in ea st around, join with sl st to first sc, fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in yarn tails. Spray block if necessary.
If you enjoyed this pattern, try my free crochet pattern for the Faux Mistake Rib Watchman’s Cap in 8 sizes.