This is the second post in our series of easy potato recipes! Check out the other recipes at the bottom of the post!
I love making potatoes as side dishes. They’re perfectly satisfying and the best complement to any meal. Plus, they’re super cheap, so buying a bag of potatoes is no big deal. So, needless to say, I’m always on the hunt for new easy potato recipes to make.
They kind of remind me of pull-apart bread recipes in how you can stuff yummy flavors and spices in the folds to give each bite a ton of flavor. This potato recipe is so easy to make that you can whip it up in no time for dinner tonight!
Easy Hasselback Potatoes
Judith Hines for Cheap Eats and Thrifty Crafts
Serves 4, but can be easily multiplied
4 large Yukon Gold potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil (see note)
Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
½ tablespoon minced fresh herbs (see note)
2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and light grease with a bit of the oil.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. On a chopping board arrange two wooden chopsticks with a potato in between them and make slices straight down 1/8 inch apart until the chopstick stops your knife from going further. Slice all the potatoes and lay on a lightly greased bake pan.
- Brush the potatoes will with some of the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add herbs to the remaining oil and set aside. Bake potatoes for 30 minutes, then brush with the herb/oil mixture and push it between the slices as much as possible. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and continue to bake for an additional 30-40 minutes until potatoes are tender in the center and golden brown on top.
1. For more decadent flavor, substitute butter or bacon fat for the olive oil.
2. Choose your favorite herb or mixture – mince fresh herbs very finely or use ½ teaspoon dry herbs – for instance thyme, rosemary or parsley.
Need a little help figuring out how exactly to slice those potatoes? Check out this video we posted to our new Instagram account!
When making this easy potato recipe your own, what spices or flavors would you love to stuff in the folds of the potatoes?
(I’d probably use pasta/pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese… 🙂 )
- Thrift Store Recipes and Projects + Fall Favorites - October 13, 2022
- Low-Cost Crafts for Your Kitchen - October 6, 2022
- Straight from the Test Kitchen: Easy Hasselback Potatoes - April 24, 2022